Here are seven facts you always wanted to know about our reading list to December 2012!:
- We have read 146 books together. At a guess they would make a pile about 10 feet or 3 metres high!
- The Equality and Human Rights Commission would be proud of us. Exactly half have been written by men, half by women.
- We tend to pick modern books:
- Vintage is our favoured publisher accounting for 25 of our choices, equivalent to one in six books on our list. Penguin comes second with 22 titles. There are 45 publishers in total on our list (see the reading list page and sort by publisher for full details).
- We have read books by 130 different authors. Only Ian McEwan has been picked 3 times. We have read two books each by: Kate Atkinson, Beryl Bainbridge, Geraldine Brooks, Robert Harris, Nick Hornby, Khaled Hosseini, Margaret Leroy, Andrea Levy, Yann Martel, Carole Shields, Lionel Shriver, Gillian Slovo and Rose Tremain.
- Five of our authors have been called John (Bayley, Coetzee, Farrell, Le Carre and Preston) with a further two Jonathons (Falla and Franzen). We have read four Margarets/Maggies (Attwood, Forster, Leroy, O'Farrell) and five by variants of the name Katharine (Kate Atkinson and Williams, Katharine McMahon, Katie Hickman and Kathryn Stockett).
- About 45% of our books have been set in Great Britain, and 13% in the USA with the remainder split between 35 countries (and Panem!).