Here are seven facts you always wanted to know about our reading list to December 2016:
- We have read 179 books together. At a guess they would make a pile about 12 feet or approaching 4 metres high!
- The Equality and Human Rights Commission would be proud of us. Half the books have been written by men, half by women.
- We tend to pick modern books:
- Vintage is our favoured publisher accounting for 30 of our choices, equivalent to one in six books on our list. Penguin comes second with 27 titles. There are 52 publishers in total on our list (see the reading list page and sort by publisher for full details).
- We have read books by 160 different authors. Only Ian McEwan and Kate Atkinson have been picked 3 times. We have read two books each by: Andrea Levy, Beryl Bainbridge, Carole Shields, Geraldine Brooks, Gillian Slovo, Joanne Harris, Jonathan Falla, Khaled Hosseini, Lionel Shriver, Margaret Leroy, Nick Hornby, Robert Harris, Rose Tremain and Yann Martel
- Eight of our authors have been called John (Bayley, Coetzee, Farrell, Lanchester, Le Carre. Meade, Faulkner, Preston and Williams) plus two Jonathans (Falla and Franzen). We have read four Margarets/Maggies (Attwood, Forster, Leroy, O'Farrell) and six with variants of the name Katharine (Kate Atkinson and Williams, Katharine McMahon, Katie Hickman, Kathryn Stockett, Catherine O’Flynn).
- 42% of our books have been set in the UK, and 13% in the USA with the remainder split between 40 countries (including Panem!).